Sunday, January 4, 2009

December Review


The holiday season was busy filled with sick kids, a birthday and Christmas of course. On December 15th our darling Hannah turned eight years old. Robin and I are amazed by her. Wasn't she just a jelly-head the other day? Now she can read and write, swim like a fish, and go on sleepovers. On her birthday morning she opened the presents from the family. She finally got to see the barbie house we have been constructing for her. Oh yes, be careful what you teach your children. We try to teach and live in an environmentally conscious way the old adage: reuse -recycle. Well, Miss Hannah decided that she needed a barbie house and that Mom should make it from recyclable materials; items found around the house. Wow. This turned into a big project.




Lots of friends and family got into the act. Dosh, who participates in a woodworking club crafted some beautiful furniture including a dining room set that makes me envious! Check out that bureau, the drawers open! Our friend Peggy made a lovely Christmas tree with presents and Hannah's friend Tjarn sewed a pillow and blanket. Meg donated a tea set and many other accoutrement's. I enjoyed constructing the house and I will never look at a box again without thinking "What can I construct from this? A couch?"




Unfortunately Hannah got a cold and a stomach virus that put her out of commission for 5 days; missing three whole days of school. This happened on the day of her scheduled birthday party. Bummer. But we rescheduled the party for December 22. Luckily all 9 girls could attend the delayed party.


The activity of the party was decorate your own gingerbread house! A good idea but the execution of this idea was very time consuming. Building a barbie house wasn't enough, now we have to construct 11 gingerbread houses. Yep, 11 gingerbread houses. A day for making the dough...oh how I love my kitchenaid mixer. Two days of cutting and baking. Two days of constructing ....I also love my glue gun. The day after I rolled out the dough my triceps were sore from the rolling.

Next year we are having the party at the pool....easier.

1 comment:

Julie, Jeff, Jack, WIll and Jasper said...

Wow! I didn't even have the energy for one! Love the dollhouse!